Eating healthy while on the road can be a challenge. With unfamiliar towns/cities along the way and a destination to get to, eating well is often the last thing on our minds. But with a little planning, prep and research you can eat healthily, feel great, and enjoy your trip!
Take into consideration the time of day, the length of your drive, the route you’ll be taking, and plan accordingly. You don’t want to be stuck in a small town at 1 am with nothing to eat but day old hot dogs from the 24-hour gas station… ek!
Taking 10 to 20 minutes to whip up a salad, chop some veggies, or pack the fixins for a tasty wrap or sandwich is totally worth the effort. Not only will your food be car ready (less potential for spills means a safer drive), but you’ll have fresh, healthy food at your fingertips whenever hunger strikes.
Researching cafes, organic produce stands, and health food stores along your driving route can be a real lifesaver when your body starts to run low on fuel. Knowing where to find healthy food, and how to get there, is key to avoiding unhealthy fast food joints or gas station convenience stores.
Make it Yourself
- Hummus with veggies, pitas or naan bread
- Veggies (carrots, cucumber, celery, broccoli, cauliflower, grape/cherry tomatoes, pea pods). Wash and pre-cut your veggies and store them in easily accessible containers so you can eat them while driving.
- Fruit (cherries, grapes, apples, bananas — all easy to eat while driving)
- Granola bars – check out my Hazelnut Mocha Granola Bar recipe
- Healthy homemade muffins and baked goods
- Nuts or trail mix
- Chips or popcorn, because everyone needs a treat once in a while. (I like Kettle Brand or Hardbit chips.)
Lunch & Dinner:
- Hearty salads
- Wraps or sandwiches – Pack your wrap and sandwich items separately, then assemble them when you’re ready to eat. This will ensure a fresh, non-soggy wrap/sandwich.
- Gazpacho (no warming needed), or soup (in a thermos)
- Homemade iced tea
- Tea bags – Most coffee shops and gas stations will fill your go-mug with hot water for free.